Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Infographic

Easelly - I feel like this would be easy to use as well but I thought it didn't offer as much variety than some of the other competitors. They did not have a video showing what they offer on their homepage and to view anything, you had to register. It looks like it would have a final product but I felt the one I chose was more user friendly. 

Piktochart - I chose Piktochart to use because I loved the simplicity of it. For someone who had never made an infographic before, this was very easy to set up an account and use the tools to create something eye-catching. It was very user friendly and made creating a final product very easy. I also loved how they had a short video showing what they had to offer.

Infogram - This was one I thought was great but maybe better used for larger groups or projects. It looked to have a great final product and has many customizable options along the side. I feel like it's broken down well on the sides but might be overwhelming with all the choices.

As schools close due to the coronavirus, some U.S. students face a digital ‘homework gap’

This was an amazing article that really speaks to an unprecedented time in our lives. With all that's up in the air at the moment, it truly is a moment in time of uncertainty. Before this outbreak, I have been a participant in many discussions about homework and it's value to a student's educational life, but what happens when homework is the only choice? Many of our students do not have access to either the internet or a computer. I love how this article breaks down the specific groups of people who are affected and how that may impact learning in the future.


9 comments:

  1. I preferred piktochart and infogram over the other options too. Your info graphic came out really well! And is especially relevant to the current situation in education too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlyn, I went with Piktochart as well and enjoyed using it. Although I feel that each option we were given for creating an infographic has its own set of positives & negatives. Your infogrpahic had me thinking a lot about our world's current situation. Fortunately, our district is offering free device check out for any student that needs it as we transition to "online school". I know that not every district is as fortunate enough to be able to do this though. Best of luck to you as we all journey into a new season of virtual teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is only the second blog article on this topic that I have looked at so far, but that makes three of us plus KAitlyn that preferred Piktochart and Infogram. You chose a very meaningful topic for your infographic, and I think that's the most important choice in making a powerful infographic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your infographic was really informative and timely. I also dove into this topic for my research since it is such an important topic given the current situation faced by districts around the world. Piktochart truly does seem to be a "crowd favorite" for infographics, and your visual helps to prove why it is so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly enjoyed your reading your infograph. It was organized, well written, and had a touch of whimsy--completely what I love in an infograph. This is a very important topic as we are sitting at home with our students. Your "Important" point is a valid--accessibilty to technology is a huge problem in we are facing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I'm obsessed with the digital divide, especially in today's circumstances. My research paper last semester was on it, and I wrote about it in this class too. Thank you for sharing this infographic that broke down the information. I felt iffy about Piktochart, but I definitely liked it more than Easel.ly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading your post was comforting because it was very similar to my own conclusion. I also chose piktochart because I though that Infogram was better used for a larger and more customized project. I loved the way your Infograhs looked. You broke the stereotype by showing that it can have more than graphs and statistics. awesome topic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda,

    Thank you for your thoughts on the different websites your explored for creating engaging infographics and media design. I agree with you that using Piktochart was the most intuitive and relatively easy to manipulate while planning and designing an appealing infographic based on a research article of our interest. I found the availability of templates, clipart, and icons remarkably and were almost familiar to me having used Adobe Creator and Microsoft PowerPoint to create and present information. I found your infographic highlighted some paramount takeaways from the research, and I have also seen more news coverage and attention from educators about the existing inequities in education have been magnified now during this pandemic. I hope once we come through this ordeal on the other side, there will be far greater importance placed on ensuring students have access to electronic devices at home and accessible broadband internet access to contribute to a more equitable learning environment for both in the classroom and outside at home.

    Check out this video from Vox Media which covered the homework gap being intensified by the COVID 19 pandemic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgF-59MkRRg

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your infographic is amazing! It's so relevant and informative. I also loved using Piktochart. The graphics are very student friendly and captivating. This was a fun module. I can't wait to start incorporating infographics into my lesson and having students get creative as well.

    ReplyDelete